Complaining about an independent education provider

Swedish Higher Education Authority (UKÄ) only has limited powers to act as a supervisory authority for independent education providers entitled to award qualification according to the Higher Education Ordinance (for instance the Chalmers University of Technology, Stockholm School of Economics or Jönköping University). This is because many of the statutes that govern the operations of higher education institutions and other state authorities do not apply to independent education providers.

If you are studying for an independent education provider and are not satisfied with the way a question has been dealt with, you should talk to your own higher education institution to begin with.

Some independent education providers have their own appeal boards, student representatives and similar systems to safeguard the legal rights of their students. It is therefore often possible to have the institution´s decisions reviewed. If the problem persists, there can in certain cases be grounds for complaining to us. 

Read more about how to make a complaint and what happens when your complaint reaches the authority:

Complaints about public-sector higher education institutions

If you wonder whether you want to make a complaint or not, you can ask us about it instead:

Ask our legal experts