The role of other authorities

On occasions complaints are mistakenly made to the Swedish Higher Education Authority (UKÄ) when they really should have been addressed to some other authority.

The authority does not normally express opinions on matters that belong to some other authority's sphere of responsibility. Here you can see which authorities are responsible for different kinds of issues. If you are not sure whether your question falls within our domain, you can ask us.

Ask our legal experts

Admission and recognition of qualifications from abroad etc.

One of the tasks of the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) is to provide information about higher education, offer admission services and deal with questions about admission regulations, recognise qualifications from abroad and enable international cooperation.

To the Swedish Council for Higher Education's (UHR's) website

Work environment

Questions concerning the working environment and health and safety are addressed to the Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket).

To the Swedish Work Environment Authority's website

Employment law

If you are employed by a higher education institution and have questions about employment law you should approach your employer or your trade union.

Expulsion from higher education

Cases concerning expulsion and suspension are dealt with by the Higher Education Expulsions Board (Högskolans avskiljandenämnd).

To the Higher Education Expulsions Board's website


Some questions concerning discrimination can be dealt with by the Higher Education Appeals Board (Överklagandenämnden för högskolan). Other complaints about discrimination should be submitted to the Equality Ombudsman (Diskrimineringsombudsmannen).

To the Equality Ombudsman's website

Personal information

Complaints about the way a higher education institution deals with personal information are sent to the Data Inspection Board (Datainspektionen).

To the Data Inspection Board's website


If you want to seek damages, you may submit your claim to the Office of the Chancellor of Justice (Justitiekanslern).

To the Chancellor of Justice's website

Higher vocational education

Questions concerning higher vocational education are dealt with by the Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education (Myndigheten för yrkeshögskolan).

To the Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education's website